Tuesday 24 March 2015

Hooray! Today I will reach Nanjing! I am so excited to see everyone! After a quick breakfast with my hosts and a replenishing of food in my satchel, (Hu gives me some rice cakes to snack on) I am off. After five hours of walking, I will reach Nanjing, and my family! I am so excited that even my sore feet don’t slow me down.
As the sun starts to go down, I see Nanjing.  I received a letter from my mother that says they live on the river,  not far from the market. First,  I find my way to the bustling market where anything from chicken to mushrooms to fabric is being sold. I pull out some money from my bag and decide to purchase a cup of mushrooms as a present for my family. Then, I easily find their house.
“Zooka?” a voice says. “Is that you?” My mother walks out into the darkening dusk.
“Mom!” I exclaim, “It’s me! Oh, how I’ve missed you!” I run to her and we hug. My father and the rest of my siblings run out for greetings. I am the oldest of five children, being 26 years old. The next are my twin brothers Bo and Fa, who have  just turned 19. Then comes my sister Lian, who is 12. Lastly, there is Meilin, who is 7.
After I have been given the chance to hug everyone, we go back inside the small house. I give the mushrooms to my mother, and she adds them to a rice stew brewing over the fire. We eat, and then, although it’s a tight fit, we climb into bed.

As I drift off to sleep, I think of my amazing journey. I think of Chen and Ji’s fishing family I met, and also of Hu and Gan, the farmers. I also remember watching Dong Qichang, the famous painter, as he painted his next masterpiece. I wonder if someday I will meet him again. One thing's for sure, I will never forget this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment